Electronic voice phenomenon, or EVPs, offer some of the most intriguing evidence for ghosts. So which digital recorders are best for capturing EVPs? Here’s a brief guide to help paranormal investigators choose a quality device.
Best Recorders for Ghost Hunting
Though any recorder will work, most investigators recommend digital devices as analog recorders may pick up their own internal workings. EVPs are often very faint and difficult to detect, so sound quality is crucial. Another advantage of digital recorders is that users may upload sound files to their computer to analyze, enhance, and store. If you’re in the market for a digital recorder, look for one with a USB port for easy file transfer.
Digital recorders may come with a variety features, including backlit displays, external microphones, and voice activation. Some investigators advise against voice-activated recorders as the device may start in the middle of an occurrence. As many EVPs are quite short, typically only a word or two, investigators don’t want a device that could miss potential evidence. It’s also difficult to decipher EVPs if the first part is missing.
Though preferences vary, many investigators prefer recorders with buttons that are easy to find in the dark or those with a backlit display. Olympus, Sony, and Panasonic are all well-trusted brands. I have the Sony ICD-PX312 which has served me well so far. I’ve unfortunately never recorded an EVP, unless you count this pathetic offering.
Best-Selling Digital Recorders
Fortunately for paranormal investigators, many digital recorders are priced under $100. Several recorders are available for half that. Not sure where to start? Check out Amazon.com’s “Best Sellers in Digital Voice Recorders” for inspiration. Here are a few products trending now (January 2017):
- SONY ICD PX333 Digital Voice Recorder $45.43 – “The device works great, picks up the audio wonderfully and is small enough to not be intrusive.”
- Sony ICD-UX533BLK Digital Voice Recorder $67.90 – “This recorder provides surprisingly good sound quality with good sensitivity for voice recordings.”
- TASCAM DR-40 4-Track Portable Digital Recorder $135.00 – “Provides faultless recording quality, is easy to use, very clear to view settings and recording levels, and has excellent functions others do not have.”
- Digital Voice Activated Recorder by Dictopro $49.99 – “This is a great little voice recorder that is built really solid.”
- dB9PRO Audio Recorder $24.97 – “The most amazing little piece of technology I’ve ever seen!”
- Olympus VN-702PC Voice Recorder – “The sound quality is excellent and the device is very easy to use.”
- Olympus DP-201 Digital Voice Recorder – “The recorder is extremely easy to use and the instructions are simple to follow.”
- Sony Digital Flash Voice Recorder – “High quality voice recorder.”
- Olympus VN-7200 Digital Voice Recorder – “This is a solid little recorder and has served me well for several years now.”
- Zoom H1 Handy Portable Digital Recorder– “The sound is quite phenomenal for a recorder this size and asking price.”
If you’re an experienced investigator, what digital recorder do you recommend for ghost hunting?
Examples of EVPs
YouTube is full of EVP recordings, as are sites operated by paranormal investigation teams. If you’re curious about electronic voice phenomenon, click around to get a feel for what kind recordings people collect. Believe it or not, most EVPs were captured by simple digital recorders, not high-tech audio equipment.
Good luck, and happy EVP hunting!
See also: “Best EMF Readers for Ghost Hunting“